- 1/2 cup raw pecan, halves
- 2 ounces mixed greens
- 3 ounces baby arugula
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) goat cheese or feta, crumbled
- 1 large ripe pear, thinly sliced
- 1 Fuji apple, thinly sliced
- Arils from 1 pomegranate
- Ginger dressing
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Arrange the mixed greens and arugula across a large serving platter or bowl. Sprinkle the chopped pecans and crumbled goat cheese over the arugula. Add slices of pear and apple. Sprinkle with fresh pomegranate arils.
To prepare the dressing, combine all of the ingredients and whisk until blended. Taste, and adjust with 1 teaspoon of vinegar if it is not flavored enough.
Wait to dress the salad until you’re ready to serve to avoid the greens wilting. When ready, drizzle with dressing and serve promptly.
Optional step - Toast Pecans: Place them in a skillet over medium heat. Toast, stirring often, until they’re fragrant and starting to turn golden on the edges, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the pecans from the heat and roughly chop them (no need to chop if you started with pecan pieces). Set aside.
Make it dairy free/vegan: Simply omit the goat cheese.
Make it nut free: Substitute pepitas (green pumpkin seeds).
Prepare up to 1 day in advance: Make salad dressing and set in refrigerator to store. Arrange the mixed greens, arugula, pecans, goat cheese and pomegranate up to 1 day in advance. Cover and refrigerate. When ready to serve: Slice top salad with apple and pear just before serving (as they will turn brown over time).