- 3 pounds organic skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut in half, then thinly sliced crosswise into half-moons
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomato
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds whole wheat pasta
1. Preheat oven to 375℉. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange chicken breasts in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (165℉).
2. In a large skillet, cook onion and bell pepper in hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until mushrooms begin to brown. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add wine and cook until reduced by half. Stir in diced tomatoes with juice, oregano, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning with additional salt, black pepper or crushed red pepper.
3. Slice chicken on an angle into ½-inch wide strips. Place chicken slices alongside or over pasta and top with cacciatore sauce.