- 1-2 Tbs olive oil or butter
- 2 chicken breasts, raw cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or sliced
- 4 cups kale or cabbage, blanched and rough chopped
- 1 ½ lbs wild or dome mushrooms, preferably shiitake or porcini, although crimini can be used, sliced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs unbleached all-purpose flour, or brown rice flour, or GF flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup sour cream, optional
- 2 Tbs sage, chopped
- 1 Tbs Thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
Heat oil or butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the cubed chicken until cooked through. Remove. In the same pan, add the onion, garlic, kale and mushrooms, stirring occasionally for 7 minutes, or until very soft.
Add the red wine vinegar and cook for 2 minutes.
Sprinkle with flour and continue cooking, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Gradually add the stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until the soup thickens slightly.
Return the cooked chicken to the soup. Add the optional sour cream, sage, thyme, and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.